In this section we present some of the best materials available on the Web. We've pulled them together into topics that you can use in their entirety or just take a few to supplement your lesson plans. We've also provided tips and suggestions around a variety of instructional strategies and techniques that you can add to your teaching repertoire.
Heritage Months, Celebrations & Events:
- Black History Month (February)
- Valentine's Day (February 14)
- Women's History Month (March)
- Jazz Appreciation Month (April)
- Earth Day (April 22)
- Asian-Pacific American Heritage Month (May)
- National Lab Day (May 12)
- Internet Safety Month (June)
- Labor History (September)
- Hispanic Heritage Month (Sept. 15 - Oct. 15)
- National American Indian Heritage Month (November)
- Classroom Resources—These AFT-developed resources help teachers incorporate international issues into their classrooms and focus mainly on the struggle for democracy and human rights around the world.
- Democracy Web—Use this resource on democracy to supplement your high school history curriculum.
- Connect Your Classroom with a Peace Corps Volunteer—Link up with a Peace Corps Volunteer working overseas at the grass-roots level who will correspond with your students.
Help us reclaim the promise of public education. Join community and labor organizations at one of dozens of events across the country on Dec. 9. more actions