The AFT stands up for girls' education worldwide
What can I do?
The international crisis in girls’ education is all about:
- Access to schools;
- Fairness within schools; and
- Equality outside of school.
What can you begin to do to promote international girls’ education? The AFT is developing online tools for students and teachers to stay informed and involved.
In addition, we ask you to:
- Sign the AFT petition to support the right of girls’ education.
- Support community groups that work for gender equality and campaigns to stop violence against women.
Stay informed by connecting with:
- The Global Campaign for Education;
- The United Nations Special Envoy for Global Education; and
- Education International.
Speak with friends, colleagues and community members about organizing activities such as walks or campaigns supporting education for all.
Read background from the:
- United Nations Girls’ Education Initiative: Declaration on Accelerating Girls’ Education and Gender Equality
- Universal Declaration of Human Rights
- Millennium Development Goals
Use the tools of social media to share information about the challenges girls face worldwide and how to take action to overcome these obstacles.
Write and urge your U.S. representative to support key education-equality provisions as first introduced in the Education for All Act of 2010.